« Home | NIGHT LIFE, the novel that wants to be a movie » | A squee-worthy day » | Query #1 » | Whee! » | No, I swear, this time it's really done... » | Gore Verbinski, your roots are showing » | Screenplay Complete » | Braaaaaains (are funny things) » | Putting the Pro in Procrastination » | Book Talk: Kim Harrison »

Fin.

Finished, at 82,000 words, the stick-a-forklike-implement-in-me, I'm done, draft of NIGHT LIFE.

I finished the first draft in April of this year, and spent 3 months on rewrites, ultimately adding 1 sub-plot and 9,000 words.

I started NIGHT LIFE in November of 2005, as my second false start in that year's NaNoWriMo. I first got the idea in the summer of 2004 and have three previous false starts, one an urban fantasy, one a paranormal romance with hints of romantica, and one nothing more than a very dry outline that still makes me cringe.

It has been a long, strange journey with Luna, Dmitri, Sunny, Mac and Alistair, but I can honestly say I have not regretted a single second spend writing this MS rather than going out, watching movies, eating, sleeping or spending time with other Real Live People.

I can also honestly say that I am so sick of the MS that were it Napoleon, I would banish it to Elba and be content to never lay eyes on it again. I have one more grammar/continuity pass to make, a formatting run and a run to add one minor bit of lore throughout the MS, and then tomorrow morning it will be going out to the two agents who requested it, and can type gleefully at the bottom of my cover letter, "The manuscript is complete at 82,000 words."

Congrats, dude! Woo hoo! Mebbe you deserve some chocolate for your efforts?

Dude, I deserve a frikkin' chocolate factory... :P

Congrats! It must feel great to finally put that baby to rest.

(At rest until you have to shop it around, that is. Old manuscripts never die...)

Post a Comment

About the Writer

  • Luna
  • Nocturne City
  • I've been a homcide detective in Nocturne City for two years and a werewolf for a good bit longer than that. I wasn't born this way, but now it's who I am. Sure, balancing my work life and keeping my secret from almost everyone I care about can be stressful, but after a few full moons a girl learns how to deal--or at least how to accessorize for fur, fangs and claws.
Profile