« Home | Gore Verbinski, your roots are showing » | Screenplay Complete » | Braaaaaains (are funny things) » | Putting the Pro in Procrastination » | Book Talk: Kim Harrison » | Asking Dumb Questions with a Vampire » | Pitching to the Choir » | Grr Argh » | Writer's Weekend » | The Bite »

No, I swear, this time it's really done...

DEAD OF NIGHT is now totally complete, with a final page count of 83. I love the screenplay convention of pages instead of words...makes me feel so much more accomplished.

It took about two days longer than I expected to finish the zero draft because I kept seeing spots where I could sneak in character development or strengthen the plot and the thing just kept growing and growing. I like Jordan Kraft, my heroine, a lot more now. She may be a soulless killer with no regard for anyone else but she's fun! That and she gets a lot of great Hannibal Lecter-ish lines that freak the rest of the characters out.

I have a bad feeling the director isn't going to okay the ending I included, which is a lot more shocking and unexpected that what we'd originally agreed upon. It happened like this: when Ex-Friend was reading the outline before I'd written a word of script, he said "You know, it would be so much cooler if XXX took place at the end...", and I agreed, so now it does. The bad part is that there's no redemption of Jordan, when all signs in the ten minutes leading up to the ending indicate that there will be. I LIKE endings like this, and I like being turned on my head watching films and seeing a twist in the conventional anti-hero's journey. A lot of viewers (and directors, producers, ect) don't. So I have a feeling Jordan will end up in the arms of Mel (hero) and redemptiony stuff will abound. Bleh.

With the script in the (e)mail to the director, I now get to sit back and wait for notes. Back to work on NIGHT LIFE, which is perilously close to submission. Eek.

Also, random movieangst: apparently there's a easter egg at the end of Dead Man's Chest, after the credits, that I missed because it was 3 a.m. when my showing finally let out. Must go back and use free ticket to see egg...

About the Writer

  • Luna
  • Nocturne City
  • I've been a homcide detective in Nocturne City for two years and a werewolf for a good bit longer than that. I wasn't born this way, but now it's who I am. Sure, balancing my work life and keeping my secret from almost everyone I care about can be stressful, but after a few full moons a girl learns how to deal--or at least how to accessorize for fur, fangs and claws.
Profile